Tiny N's timeline

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Saturday 16 July 2011

Tiny N is not so tiny anymore

Our little man weighs almost 2 kg - estimated weight at birth is 3.300kg., and he's about 40 cm long. He's got five little toes on each foot - the doc and I counted them together on the ultrasound, and apparently he was doing some very serious thinking (scratching his head with one of his little fists).
What's very funny at this stage, is that I really feel that he's becoming a little person. He reacts to sounds, to movements, and he has his own little schedule. And he has hickups - sometimes several times a day - but apparently it helps if I rub where his back is supposed to be. Oh, and one more thing we saw on the ultrasound : he's got hair :-) !

While he's in supershape, mommy's feeling a bit less grand. Dizzy spells all day long, and hello good old friend morning sickness (although forget the "morning" part). Of course - you've guessed it - as with all other complaints, "it's completely normal". Due to a change in  hormones (you've got to love them) as your body is preparing for birth, you can get nauseous again in the third trimester. So it's back to force-feeding myself - only for Tiny N's sake. For more than a month, I haven't gained a single gram - only lost a kilo from time to time when it got really bad - and done my very best to gain it back again.
When I don't feel dizzy, about to faint, or nauseous, I actually feel very good and with more energy than before. So over the past few weeks it has happened more than once that I think "wow, I feel great, let's do this, this, and that", only to wind up lying on the floor of a tiny fitting room, covered in cold sweat, gasping for air, my heart ready to jump out of my chest. (as you see, "taking it slow", is still the biggest challenge for me during this pregnancy!)

What else this week? I've washed and neatly folded all the baby clothes, I've washed the sheets and made his little bed (okay, call it "nesting" if you want), and I've finally learned some breathing techniques and positions to help me through labour. The girl who gave the session had a baby herself three months ago - and her enthousiasm and confidence was really inspiring - and contagious. For the first time I dared to think "okay, I can do this". Let's keep that thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment